The Gartner Hype Cycle for Attack Surface Management provides valuable insights into the latest trends and technologies in the field of cybersecurity. It is an essential resource for security and risk management leaders who are looking to stay ahead of the curve and protect their organizations from cyber threats.
Click Here To Download The Latest Gartner Hype Cycle Report
Attack surface management (ASM) is a cybersecurity approach that focuses on identifying and managing an organization’s attack surface, which is the sum of all the points where an attacker can potentially gain unauthorized access to an organization’s systems, data, or network. Here are some highlights about attack surface management:
- ASM is becoming increasingly important as organizations adopt new technologies and expand their digital footprint, which creates more potential entry points for attackers.
- ASM involves identifying and assessing an organization’s attack surface, which includes all the assets, applications, and services that are exposed to the internet or connected to the organization’s network.
- ASM tools and services can help organizations gain visibility into their attack surface and prioritize their security efforts based on the level of risk posed by each asset.
- ASM can help organizations reduce their attack surface by identifying and eliminating unnecessary or outdated assets, applications, and services.
- ASM can also help organizations improve their security posture by identifying vulnerabilities and misconfigurations that could be exploited by attackers.
- ASM is a continuous process that requires ongoing monitoring and assessment of an organization’s attack surface, as new assets and vulnerabilities are constantly emerging.
- ASM is a critical component of a comprehensive cybersecurity strategy, along with other security measures such as network segmentation, access controls, and incident response planning.
The latest trends and technologies in attack surface management (ASM) are designed to help organizations identify and manage the risks associated with their digital assets and reduce the risk of cyber attacks. Here are some of the latest trends and technologies in ASM:
- External Attack Surface Management (EASM): EASM is a capability that focuses on discovering internet-facing enterprise assets and systems and associated exposures. It helps identify internet-facing assets while also prioritizing discovered vulnerabilities and related threats. EASM aims to provide risk information relevant to digital assets in the public domain, exposed to threat actors.
- Automated Penetration Testing and Red Teaming Tools: These tools automate the process of penetration testing and red teaming, which involves simulating cyber attacks to identify vulnerabilities and weaknesses in an organization’s security defenses.
- Breach Attack Simulation (BAS): BAS is a capability that simulates cyber attacks to test an organization’s security defenses and identify vulnerabilities. It helps organizations understand their security posture and identify areas for improvement.
- Digital Risk Protection Services (DRPS): DRPS is a capability that provides continuous risk assessment and threat identification from within the estate and externally. It helps organizations identify and manage the risks associated with their digital assets, including websites, social media accounts, and other online properties.
- Continuous Threat Exposure Management (CTEM): CTEM is a capability that focuses on managing an organization’s exposure to cyber threats on an ongoing basis. It involves continuous monitoring, assessment, and remediation of an organization’s attack surface to reduce the risk of cyber attacks.
- Cyber Asset Attack Surface Management (CAASM): CAASM is a capability that focuses on discovering and managing the attack surface of cyber assets, including hardware, software, and firmware. It helps organizations identify and manage the risks associated with their cyber assets, including vulnerabilities, misconfigurations, and other security issues.
Overall, these latest trends and technologies in the field of cybersecurity related to attack surface management are designed to help organizations identify and manage the risks associated with their digital assets and reduce the risk of cyber attacks.
FireCompass is a SaaS platform for Continuous Automated Pen Testing, Red Teaming and External Attack Surface Management (EASM). FireCompass continuously indexes and monitors the deep, dark and surface webs using nation-state grade reconnaissance techniques. The platform automatically discovers an organization’s digital attack surface and launches multi-stage safe attacks, mimicking a real attacker, to help identify breach and attack paths that are otherwise missed out by conventional tools.
Feel free to get in touch with us to get a better view of your attack surface.