Red team automation refers to the use of automated tools and processes to simulate and test an organization’s defences as part of a red teaming engagement. These tools and processes can be used to conduct a wide range of activities, such as reconnaissance, penetration testing, and lateral movement. The goal of red team automation is to make the red teaming process more efficient and effective by automating repetitive or time-consuming tasks, allowing the red team to focus on more complex and sophisticated attacks.
However, even in Red Team Automation organizations are forced to use different tools like:
- Automated reconnaissance tools: These tools are used to gather information about a target organization’s systems and networks, such as IP addresses, open ports, and software versions.
- Automated exploitation tools: These tools are used to exploit vulnerabilities in a target organization’s systems and networks, such as SQL injection or cross-site scripting (XSS) attacks.
- Automated post-exploitation tools: These tools are used to conduct activities on a target organization’s systems and networks after a vulnerability has been exploited, such as privilege escalation or lateral movement.
- Automated reporting tools: These tools are used to automatically generate reports that detail the findings of a red teaming engagement, including a list of vulnerabilities and recommendations for remediation.
However, even then, some tools may not always be able to mimic the creativity and unpredictability of a human attacker or validate & prioritize the critical findings. FireCompass Red Team Automation platform can actually help you with multi-stage attack playbooks to mimic a real attacker and accurately pinpoint initial-access paths that would be targeted first while automatically sending prioritized risks to your team.
Does your organization need Red Team Automation?
While the answer to this is usually yes, depending on the size and maturity of your organization, the reasons why and the benefits to you may differ. When considering if a CART solution is right for you, it may help to consider the solution in terms of its two broad areas of functionality:
- Knowing what all your assets are is the foundation of protecting them. Knowing what your enemy knows about you is the key to identifying where your real risks are. Very small organizations may need to do this infrequently but any medium to large organization and companies going through a digital transformation should definitely be monitoring their attack surface and other things that may be out there that can be leveraged in a potential attack.
- No matter how large or small your security team is, performing external security testing of your attack surface is good practice. If you currently do not have a Red Team, Red Team Automation gives you an easy way to bring Red Teaming into your organization without the need for complicated tools and expensive personnel. If you have a Red Team, moving some of the things they do that can be automated and free them up to do the things that only they can do.
To find out if automated red teaming is the right solution for you, get in touch with us.
FireCompass is a SaaS platform for Continuous Automated Red Teaming (CART) and Attack Surface Management (ASM). FireCompass continuously indexes and monitors the deep, dark and surface webs using nation-state grade reconnaissance techniques. The platform automatically discovers an organization’s digital attack surface and launches multi-stage safe attacks, mimicking a real attacker, to help identify breach and attack paths that are otherwise missed out by conventional tools.