In this FireCompass Quarterly Breach Report, we will look into recent Data Breaches, Ransomware attacks and also highlight the trends observed from the data breaches and attacks that happened in the first half of 2021. This Breach report covers publicly disclosed data compromise events reported between July’21 till Oct’ 21.
In the first half of 2021, there were 352 reported data compromise events including ransomware as a component of the attack. The most common attack vector for enterprises experiencing a data breach was compromised credentials and the healthcare sector accounted for the most breaches during this period.
Here is a quick look at the overall situation:
- There were 1,767 publicly reported breaches in the first six months of 2021, which exposed a total of 18.8 billion records.
- One breach, at the Forex trading service FBS Markets, accounted for approximately 85% of the records exposed through June 30th
- After a high-water mark left by 2019, the percentage of breaches exposing access credentials in the form of email addresses and passwords remained consistent with other years, appearing in approximately 40% and 33% of breaches, respectively.
- Number of breaches by breach type reported by Q2, 2021
- Number of records lost by breach type reported by Q2, 2021
- Number of breaches by industry reported by Q2, 2021